Far-Right Protest at Family Home of Paul Murphy TD
Message from Paul Murphy TD about a January 6 Far-Right Protest :
Far right protesters outside our home on Sat night while we’re putting our baby in bath. They have a sign about Irish homeless but I bet none have helped anyone fight their eviction. They don’t care about children or homeless. They just want to spread hate and division.
https://x.com/paulmurphy_TD/status/1743722455867249087?s=20
Solidarity with Paul Murphy and Jess Spear.
Context :
Source : People Before Profit TD Paul Murphy Condemns protest Outside His House January 6 2024
People Before Profit TD Paul Murphy has condemned a protest outside his house on Saturday evening.
Murphy posted on Twitter that “far-right protesters” gathered outside his house as he was putting his child into the bath.
The protesters could be seen holding signs that read “illegal male immigrants are housed before Irish homeless”, “why are military aged men fleeing war?” and “Ireland says no.”
Murphy condemned the protest, saying the protesters “don’t care about children or homeless, they just want to spread hate and division.”
“They have a sign about Irish homeless, but I bet none have helped anyone fight their eviction,” he remarked.
Murphy has repeatedly had protesters outside his home, with protesters gathering outside his home last April.
Last summer, the family home of Independent Councillor Hugh Lewis was targeted by demonstrators, with a brick thrown in through the window.
An Taoiseach Leo Varadkar and Fine Gael Minister Simon Harris have also had their homes targeted by protesters in recent years.
Varadkar condemned the attack on Lewis’ home, saying at the time “whatever views people may have, there is no excuse for attacking any individual or attacking their property.”
“That’s absolutely wrong and should be condemned by everyone unreservedly.”
Former Lord Mayor of Dublin Hazel Chu, who has been vocal about intimidation and harassment she has faced in office, said “whether you agree with Paul’s politics it’s one thing, but harrassing him, his wife and their baby by standing outside their home holding signs that trumpet false narratives is quite another thing altogether.”
Fellow elected representatives condemned the protest, with Green Councillor Michael Pidgeon dubbing the protesters “utter losers,” Sinn Féin Councillor Daithí Doolan saying the behaviour is “totally unacceptable,” and Social Democrats TD Catherine Murphy calling it “unacceptable harassment.”
Last week, graffiti targeting An Taoiseach Leo Varadkar which claims “he sold out the Irish people” appeared in Drimnagh.
The first day of the Dáil sitting after summer recess last September was overshadowed by protesters depicting TDs hanging from mock gallows, forcing Leinster House to go into lockdown.
In September 2023, it was announced that Councillors would be able to avail of a security allowance in response to the level of threat against elected representatives in Ireland.
Announcing the allowance, Minister Kirean O’Donnell stated “this allowance has been introduced in light of increased security and safety incidents experienced by Councillors. I would hope that this allowance will support and ensure that current and future serving councillors can continue to carry out the excellent and vital work they do locally for their communities.”
Labour leader Ivana Bacik stated before Christmas that election candidates should not have to publish their home addresses, and she said the level of intimidation faced by those running for office is being intolerable.
“Unfortunately, due to the failure of this Government to tackle the far-right and to ensure sufficient safeguards to protect the safety of those who wish to put themselves forward for public office, we know that potential candidates for all parties are fearful of putting their home addresses into the public record. Who could blame them?”
Death of Gerry O’Carroll, A Policeman At the Centre of the Joanne Hayes Kerry Babies Scandal
Gerry O’Carroll is dead. Humanity has not lost anyone special.
We are re-blogging a March 26 2023 post :
Here are the introductory paragraphs :
As fresh 2023 Irish state investigations continue into the death of a Tralee baby in 1984, we are not hearing the story of Joanne Hayes. Many readers must be wondering – Why?
A huge reason is that three police officers got the book of Joanne Hayes – “My Story” – destroyed. These Gardaí succeeded because of the “discredited” Judge Lynch Tribunal Report.
Today, action is needed on this matter. On a directly related issue, the non-jury Special Criminal Court must be abolished.
The police torturers were connected to the heavy gang which tortured loads of people connected to Irish Republican organisations in the 1970’s and 1980’s. These practices were institutionally protected by the non-jury Special Criminal Court and numerous other state organs and functionaries. This court still exists. Justice sleeps there, and right-wing government parties routinely rubber-stamp a renewal once a year. We need to constantly remind ourselves of Bertolt Brecht’s comment about the root causes of a German Nazi’s rise to power in the 1930’s : concerning capitalist decay “the bitch that bore him is in heat again”. Let’s stop making excuses for the Special Criminal Court. It spread cancer within the police force outwards. Today, the following practical steps are necessary :
1. Immediate Abolition of the Non-Jury Special Criminal Court. 2. Immediate State Investigation of the police torturers in the Joanne Hayes case and the state institutions which facilitated them – up to and including courts, governments, and functionaries. 3. Formal rejection of the Lynch Report, rescinding of the “My Story” libel verdict, compensation for the authors (Joanne Hayes and John Barrett).
The absence of effective action meant in the past – and will mean in the future – that the same system continues – and will continue to generate future “Kerry Babies” Miscarriages of Justice.
Racist Scumbags in Ireland Are Burning Unoccupied Buildings – The Hug-a-Thug Policing Strategy of Garda Boss Drew Harris is coming home to roost
A question to Garda Boss Drew Harris : How is the Hug-a-Thug Policing Strategy Playing Out?
In 2023, in his weekly Sunday Independent columns, Gene Kerrigan wrote devastating examinations of Garda Boss Drew Harris’s strategy for dealing with escalating far-right activity in Ireland. November 23 2023 racist riots in Dublin’s city centre prompted this sarcastic Kerrigan twitter comment :
“The classic part of their playbook,” Drew Harris said of the far right, “is an over-response by the authorities. We are not going to fall into that trap.” How’s the hug-a-thug policing strategy playing out, Drew?
Source : The Drew Harris Hug-a-Thug Policing Strategy
Racist riots erupted on Dublin’s streets on November 23 2023. The “hug-a-thug” philosophy of Drew Harris finds its way into this Irish Times report :
Many Garda officers do not accept the disturbances on the night were “far-right riots”, saying the event was more nuanced. They say the trouble was whipped up by a small far-right element before opportunists with no ideology seized the chance to go on a rampage, taking on gardaí and looting shops.
Conor Lally, Crime & Law
How far right-sparked violence dominated the year in policing during 2023, Irish Times December 27 2023
The Irish Far-Right is on an arson roll – its activists are burning unoccupied buildings which are earmarked to house homeless refugees.
Read the rest of this entry »Did British Labour Leader Sir Keir Starmer say “Israel has the right” to cut off food water and electricity to 2 million people in Gaza?
A resident of Great Britain advises these posters are appearing in an English city. The correspondent observes “Someone is sailing very close to the wind with electoral law even if it is an accurate account of what he said. This is the latest and biggest of a series of these that have popped up locally.”
Has anyone seen these posters in other parts of the British state, including the bit styled “Northern Ireland”. I am guessing the posters would be popular in Scotland and Wales. They could catch on!

A correspondent wondered “And of course it’s not what he said!” – so the blog team looked it up.
Read the rest of this entry »Fianna Fáil leader Micheál Martin opens the door to coalition with Sinn Féin
Fianna Fáil leader Micheál Martin has said there would be “huge difficulties” with his party going into government with Sinn Féin, but did not rule out the possibility of such a coalition after the next election.
Irish Times December 26 2023
Fianna Fáil (FF) and Fine Gael (FG), two tweedledum and tweedledee capitalist parties, have controlled every government running the southern 26 county bit of partitioned Ireland since a 1921 Treaty was signed with the former occupying power, Britain. A carnival of reaction followed on both sides of the Irish border.
Faced with a false choice between Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael, the only rational policy for the left was and is : no coalition, on principle, with any right-wing party.
The need for this policy is explained in this interview with Paul Murphy TD (People Before Profit, Dublin South-West) : To all of them we say: rule out coalition with Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael – interview with Paul Murphy TD after the February 2020 Irish General Election
Read the rest of this entry »












